Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thing 4: Public Library

I did a poll of my first hour class today and found that only 4 out of 25 of them had visited a public library this school year. Then they asked me and I had to admit to them that I had not visited the library this school year either, which is doubly bad because I have a 4 year old daughter, who loves to go to the library. During school it is hard, but we are avid library users during the summer when I have more time.

I was searching online and found that the Rondo library does college application help, and I am going to offer extra credit to my 11th and 12th grade students who go to one of these sessions.

College Application Help

Help with college applications and questions, for high school students and adult learners
Saturdays, 1 - 4 p.m., in the SWAMP.

* January 19
* March 1
* March 15
* April 5
* April 19
* May 3

2 comments:

Karen said...

What a fabulous idea! Not only will the students get to see the a "library" is more than "books" but hopefully they will also get some good help with a real-life problem (for lack of a better word.) Very creative . . .

--Deanna said...

Excellent idea!! So many kids out there might *want* to go to college but have no idea where to start and might not have friends or family members who can help with the confusing process. Like Karen said, GREAT way to let kids know that libraries have more to offer than "just" books.