Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thing 8: Dribbling Lessons

Plagarism in written reports has been a huge issue for me as students have gotten into the habit of copy/pasting from the internet and into their reports. I have obviously done a sub standard job of teaching them the right and wrong way to gather information from the internet, because last year by typing sentences from reports into google search I caught about 40% of my students plagarising by not using quotation marks around material they took word for word from websites.

This year I used the dribbling lesson http://www.lib.sfu.ca/researchhelp/tutorials/interactive/plagiarism/tutorial/Plagiarism-Pretest-QUIZ.htm

Which is a 7 question quiz that gives students senarios to judge as plagarism or not (they are all plagarism :)). I did it as a whole class activity and I think it really hit home, especially the part about images needing to be cited. Many searched for the sources for their images immediatly after. Also, I was able to warn them that if they did plagarize, they would get a 0 on their report without a chance of a rewrite, and also I would report the incident to the assistant principal.

No comments: